This article in The Atlantic Cities compares the car to older technologies such as the steamboat. At one point, it may have been hard to picture a society without these vessels, which played a huge role in the transportation of freight in the 1800’s. However, thanks to technological developments since then, the steamboat has become all but obsolete. Thus, it may be difficult to imagine a world where the car does not play such a central role, but current “socio-technical transitions” may indicate that we are already on the road (no pun intended) to a different sort of transportation future.
Follow Feet First Philly on TwitterMy Tweets
- Video: Hear From VSH Park Reps And Listen For The Nov Grand Prize Winners
- Pedestrians of Philadelphia: Titania Markland
- New Pedestrian Portal Lets Users View and Update Sidewalk Conditions in Real Time
- There Is Still Time To Apply For Our Public Space Enhancement Mini-Grant
- New Measures Improve Road Safety Near Somerton Station